Placement Testing Information
Placement testing is used to assist in proper placement of students into math and English courses. Our goal is to help students succeed academically and to progress toward graduation in a timely manner. All students attending a Potomac State Orientation (PSO) event will be REQUIRED to take the Potomac State Math Placement Exam. Initial recommendations regarding English placement will be made based on the student's ACT or SAT scores.
MATH PLACEMENT TESTING:
- Students who have no ACT/SAT scores on file or have below a 19 on the mathematics section of the ACT or below a 460 on the math portion of the SAT will be REQUIRED to take Version A-Foundations of the Potomac State College Math Placement Exam.
- Students who have a 19 or above on the mathematics section of the ACT or a 460 or above on the math portion of the SAT will be REQUIRED to take Version B-Advanced of the Potomac State College Math Placement Exam.
- Use of calculators is prohibited
SAMPLE POTOMAC STATE COLLEGE MATH PLACEMENT EXAM:
ENGLISH PLACEMENT TESTING:
- Students who have no ACT/SAT scores on file or do not meet the minimum score of 18 on the English section of the ACT or the minimum score of 450 on the verbal portion of the SAT may be offered the opportunity to take the ACCUPLACER placement test in sentence skills.
- Students with an ACT score of 18 or above on the English section or an SAT score of 450 or above on the verbal portion will be placed directly into English 101.
SAMPLE ENGLISH PLACEMENT TEST :