Self-Help Materials: Goal Setting and Motivation
"The tragedy in life doesn't lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach for. It isn't a calamity to die with dreams unfulfilled, but it is a calamity not to dream. It is not a disaster to be unable to capture your ideal, but it is a disaster to have no ideal to capture. It is not a disgrace not to reach the stars, but it is a disgrace to have no stars to reach for. Not failure, but low aim is a sin."
-Dr. Benjamin E. Mays
Ten Steps to Goal Setting
- Write realistic goals that are your own. Do what means the most to you.
- State your goals specifically. Be sure that your goal is measurable and observable. State a specific time frame for completion. Good goals are neither too easy nor impossible. They should cause you to stretch and grow. A challenging goal will hold your interest and keep you motivated.
- Determine the purpose of your goals and their achievement benefits. Write these benefits down next to your goal.
- Set specific strategies for accomplishing each goal.
- Set target dates for self-evaluation of progress.
- Periodically visualize your goal as well as your strategies for accomplishment.
- Make a public commitment and arrange regular contact with that individual to discuss progress.
- List potential obstacles to attaining the goal.
- List strategies for overcoming obstacles.
- Follow through on all strategies. Plan flexibility. As a growing person, your needs will change over time.
Some Obstacles to Reaching Your Goals
- Poor time management.
- Difficulty concentrating.
- FEAR= False Education Appearing Real
- Negative self-talk and beliefs
- Personal problems (relationships, substance use, financial, etc...)
Get Into the Loop!
Energy is the power that drives every human being. It is not lost by exertion but is maintained by it.
You can learn from your mistakes along the way. Failure is an opportunity to discover that future success lies in another strategy or direction!
Action TNT (Today Not Tomorrow)
Establish short- and long-term goals. List your intrinsic and extrinsic motivators. Set priorities. Ask for help. Find ways to deal with distractions. Compare your actions and your values. Eliminate negative self-talk. Look for small successes and reward yourself.