Timeliness is one of the most importnat factors in receiving the maximum amount of financial aid.
The first step to apply for financial aid is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Check out this video for tips on completing the FAFSA.
• Apply for a U.S. Department of Education student PIN and parent PIN at www.pin.ed.gov. You will use your PIN to sign your online FAFSA, review your processed information, correct FAFSA data, and conduct other important business.
• Complete the FAFSA by March 1 if at all possible for maximum consideration for federal and state aid. If you cannot meet this submission date you can still apply at anytime during the academic year in which you are enrolled.
• Include the West Virginia University code (003827) and the Potomac State College code (003829) on the FAFSA.
• The FAFSA is based on your prior year tax information. If you have not completed your federal income tax return, you may estimate your income in order to meet the FAFSA deadline. Once you have submitted your federal income tax return, you may make corrections to your processed FAFSA.
• You must be admitted to Potomac State College in order to receive a financial aid award letter.
If you are a West Virginia resident and plan to attend college as a full-time student, you should complete the PROMISE Scholarship Application and FAFSA by March 1 to be considered for the PROMISE scholarship. The deadline for priority consideration for the West Virginia Higher Education Grant is April 15.
Potomac State offers many scholarships for students, including WVU-integrated scholarships which continue when you change campuses to Morgantown. Make sure you are admitted and provide your ACT or SAT scores by February 15 for maximum consideration for scholarships.
Financial Aid Timeline
December: High schools and colleges receive the FAFSA on the Web Worksheets. Students and Parents may apply for FAFSA PINs.
January: Families complete the FAFSA to determine financial aid eligibility anytime after January 1.
February: The deadline for priority consideration for PSC scholarships is February 15.
March: Financial aid award letters that provide an estimate of the aid you are eligible for through Potomac State College will begin to be mailed to applicants who met the March 1 deadline.
July: Notifications of West Virginia and Pennsylvania state grants will begin to be mailed from the respective agencies. Fall bills should be available through the MIX account near the end of the month.
August: Payment for fall term is due before the first day of classes.
Click here to print the Financing Your Education Brochure.