Financial Aid Award
Once you have submitted your FAFSA to the US Department of Education, the information you provided will be used to determine your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC). This information then is downloaded into the West Virginia University system and either
(1) You will be selected for verification.
(2) You will receive a financial aid award letter.
Remember ALL initial correspondence about your financial aid comes from the main West Virginia University campus in Morgantown. Do not throw it away!
• Verification requires documentation to verify the information you submitted on the FAFSA.
• The form is mailed from WVU and must be completed and returned with the requested information before you will have a financial aid award calculated.
• If you are selected for verification, complete and sign the form. Note: Both the student and parent must sign if the student is dependent.
• Also, be certain to send the requested, signed Federal tax form with the verification.
• You must provide any additional information requested.
• Please return the completed verification form, tax returns, and any additional information requested to the Office of Enrollment Services, Potomac State College, 75 Arnold Street, Keyser, WV 26726.
Financial Aid Award Letter
A financial aid award letter is mailed to you from West Virginia University in Morgantown and provides a listing of the financial aid resources that will be available to you for the academic year. Once the award notice is received, you:
Must review the financial aid offered online by logging into the STAR system, using your MIX ID which is located on the award letter. If you have problems logging in or have questions about your MIX account, please review the information at http://mixinfo.wvu.edu , contact the OIT Help Desk at 304-203-4444, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org . If you do not have access to the internet, contact the Potomac State College of WVU Enrollment Services Office at 304-788-6820.
To review the offer:
1.Log into your MIX account at http://mixinfo.wvu.edu
2. Click on the STAR tab
3.Click on "Click Here to Enter STAR"
4.Click on "Financial Aid"
5.Click on "Award"
6. Click on "Award by Aid Year"
7. Select aid year Example: 2013-14
8.Click on "Accept Award Offer" tab
Must accept or decline the aid offered on your MIX account within thirty (30)days of receipt of the award letter.
Must complete both the Master Promissory (MPN) and entrance counseling at www.studentloans.gov IF you are a first-time borrower.
1. MPN for direct subsidized /unsubsidized loans go to www.studentloans.gov , sign in, click on "Complete MPN," and then select subsidized/unsubsidized.
2. Entrance counseling go to www.studentloans.gov , click on "Complete Entrance Counseling," and then select undergraduate.
Must have one parent complete a PLUS loan credit application IF a PLUS loan is available as part of the student financial aid award. The intended PLUS borrower must log into www.studentloans.gov , using their Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) PIN number, and click on "Request Direct PLUS Loan."
1. If the PLUS borrower is approved for the Parent PLUS loan, the parent borrower must complete a PLUS Master Promissory Note (MPN) at www.studentloans.gov , using their Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) PIN, and select the Parent PLUS.
2. If denied, the borrower will have the option to
a. Seek a qualified cosigner for the PLUS loan and receive instructions from the US Department of Education OR
b. Complete a Request for Additional Direct Unsubsidized Loan form, which must be signed by both the parent and the student, so that the student can receive up to an additional $4000 unsubsidized loan for the current academic year.
Must come to the Potomac State College Enrollment Services Office the first week of school to sign up for Federal Work Study (FWS) if you have FWS as part of your financial aid award.
The PLUS (Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students) Loan Application provides information that is submitted by WVU to the US Department of Education for a credit check of the parent who completes the form.
• If approved for the PLUS loan, the parent who applied will be notified by WVU that they must complete a PLUS MPN* on line at StudentLoans.gov.
• If denied, the parent will have the option to
(1) seek a qualified co-signer for the PLUS loan OR
(2) complete an Additional Unsubsidized Loan Request form, which must be signed by both the parent and the student, so that the student can have up to an additional $4000 unsubsidized loan for the current academic year.
*When completing an MPN for either the student loan or for the PLUS loan, be certain to use West Virginia University in Morgantown, WV, as the school the student is attending.