Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Do I need a student ID card?

A. Yes. The first card is free; Replacement cards are $20. Without a student ID card, you will not be able to check a book out of the library, use the Student Rec Center, go to dances, attend Ballistic Bowling, attend WVU athletic events, or attend other activities that occur on the Potomac State campus.

Students who reside on campus must have a student ID card to dine in the Potomac Commons. Students who reside in University Place or Catamount Place need their ID card to access the facility and room.

ID cards can be obtained in the Student Life Office in AD 104.

Q. Can I bring my vehicle to campus?

A. Yes. College parking is available but limited and a parking permit is required. Keep in mind that there is no overnight parking on streets adjacent to the College.

All students who have a vehicle on campus must purchase a parking permit ($50) and park in designated parking areas. Parking rules are strictly enforced by both University Police and the Keyser City Police.

Q. How do I get a parking permit?

A. Parking permits cost $50 for the entire academic year. All members of the campus community who park a vehicle on campus must display a valid PSC parking permit.

Parking permits may be purchased during Student Services Days prior to the start of each semester in the Church-McKee Auditorium. Once classes have begun, permits may be purchased by going to the University Police Office and obtaining a permit and then going to the Student Accounts Office located on the 100-level of the Administration Building to pay for their permit.

Q. Can I live off-campus?

A. Potomac State College requires all single, full-time students to live in College-operated housing. Students living at home with parents within reasonable commuting distance of PSC (50 miles), married students, students with children, and students 21 years and older are exempt from this requirement.

Q. How can I find out more about campus life?

A. Students and parents/guardians are encouraged to read the Potomac State College of WVU Student Handbook and the Student Conduct Code. Students who are residing in College-owned housing should read the Residence Life Handbook. All of these publications are available at .

It is a good idea to read all mailings from the College that arrive before the school year begins. Students should be checking their WVU Portal email accounts regularly as many offices no longer use “snail mail” and send everything electronically through email. The College Website is also an outstanding resource for both student and parent/guardians to explore.

Q. I would like more information about getting involved with community service projects.

A. Potomac State College students and staff have a long-standing tradition of being active in the community. Many of the College's sports teams do community service projects as do several student organizations. If you would like to get involved in projects such as Habitat for Humanity or the local food pantry, you should contact Student Life at 788-6842 or click here for more information.

Q. Does PSC have fraternities or sororities?

A. No.

Q. I have participated in Student Government in high school and would like information about getting involved in PSC's Student Government.

A. PSC's Student Government Association is very active on campus and welcomes students who want to get involved in the organization. Stop in the Student Involvement Office located in room 109 of the Student Union to talk to a staff person who can answer all of your questions. Information about SGA is available here .

Q. I want to be involved when I get on campus and would like more information about student organizations.

A. There are approximately twenty active student organizations on campus and all of them welcome new members.

Q. Does PSC offer intramural activities?

A. Yes. There is a wide array of activities planned for students throughout the year including flag football, soccer, softball, and basketball to name a few.

The College recently opened a new Student Recreation Center that is available for student use seven days a week.

Students also have access to the new turf field at night until 11 PM, except during the winter, and when organized activities are not being conducted.

Q. When is the first day of classes?

A. The 2017 fall semester begins on August 16, 2017. The spring 2018 semester begins January 8, 2018.

Q. Does PSC provide transportation to train stations or airports?

A. A free shuttle service to and from the Amtrak station in Cumberland, Maryland (approximately 20 miles north of Keyser) is provided during Thanksgiving break, winter break, and spring break. From Cumberland, students can catch a train to either Washington or Pittsburgh. To learn more about the shuttle service to the train station just call the Office of Housing and Residence Life at 304-788-7407. Student shuttles are by reservation only.

There are cab companies in the area that will drive students to regional airports. Be sure to contact the cab company well in advance since this trip does take several hours.

College Shuttles, a separate transportation company, offers weekly weekend transportation to the Baltimore/Washington DC area. Please contact College Shuttles by telephone at 1-877-789-1947 for more details or visit them online.

BayRunner Shuttle West provides daily, scheduled transport services for airline passengers traveling from the Western Maryland service area to Baltimore-Washington International Airport or the Baltimore Greyhound Bus Terminal. For more information call 1-855-229-7867 or 301-898-2571. Pick-up Hotline 301-378-0870. Web page:

Q. How do I get a WVU football ticket?

A. Normally, when tickets are available, WVU will notify PSC's Student Life Office prior to the game and then Student Life will post a message on the WVU Portal accounts and social media. Tickets are not available for all games.

When WVU tickets become available, students should go to Morgantown the day of the game. Once in Morgantown, students should go to the ticket window at the North Gate of Milan Puskar Stadium and present your Potomac State College student ID card to purchase a student ticket. The cost of a student ticket is $10.

Students can only purchase tickets in person the day of the game. Student tickets may NOT be available for all games.

Before each home game, students may inquire about ticket availability by contacting the WVU Ticket Office at 1-800-WVU-GAME.

Q. How do I get a WVU basketball ticket?

A. When tickets are available, students have to go to the Coliseum and show their PSC student ID card and pay $7 to obtain a student ticket.

Before each home game, students may inquire about ticket availability by contacting the WVU Ticket Office at 1-800-WVU-GAME.

Q. Does PSC provide transportation to WVU for football or basketball games?

A. No. Normally, there are students traveling to events in Morgantown and it is fairly easy to snag a ride with another student. You may want to offer to help pay for gas.

There are times when WVU provides PSC with a number of tickets for games for students to ride a campus shuttle to and from the game.  These trips will be announced in advance and students are required to ride the campus shuttle to and from the game.  The student is responsible for the cost of the ticket. Seats are limited and are distributed on a first-come first-serve basis.  

Q. Will the College notify parents or guardians if their student is taken to the hospital?

A. It depends. Federal laws prevent College personnel from notifying parents/guardians unless it is a life or death situation and that call is usually made by hospital personnel. There are times when the College does not even know that a person is in the hospital as hospital personnel are not permitted to notify anyone unless they receive permission from the student.

If a student was transported by ambulance to the hospital from the residence halls, a Residence Hall Coordinator may contact parents as a courtesy unless of course the student strongly objects and it is not a life or death situation (potential for harm to oneself or to others).

Q. Will the College notify parents/guardians if their student is arrested?

A. No. Again, Federal laws prevent the College from releasing this type of information.

Q. When will the College notify parents/guardians if something is wrong?

A. There are circumstances when the College can legally notify parents/guardians. Obviously, in life and death situations (potential for harm to oneself or to others), the College normally will want to get parents/guardians involved unless of course the student is strongly opposed to notifying one or the other parent (there are times when a student does not want to have contact with a particular parent and the College will weigh this into the decision of contacting parents).

If a student has not been seen or has been reported missing, the College will normally contact parents to inquire about the student's whereabouts.

Q. Who should I call at night or on weekends when there is an emergency and I need to contact my student?

A. It is best to try to contact the student by telephone in his/her room or by cell phone. If you do not get a response, you can contact the University Police at 304-788-6931 and they will try to get a message to your student. The College cannot force a student to return a telephone call.

Q. Does the College allow alcohol on campus?

A. No. Not even if the student is of legal drinking age. College personnel and University Police enforce all alcohol and drug polices and state/Federal laws. Students who violate these policies/laws will have a College conduct meeting. Students who violate alcohol and/or drug policies/laws could receive College sanctions up to and including expulsion from PSC along with other legal ramifications.

Q. Is marijuana decriminalized or legal in West Virginia?

A. No. Not even for medical reasons. College personnel and University Police enforce all drug laws and state/Federal laws. Students who violate these laws will have a College conduct meeting. Students who violate drug laws could receive College sanctions up to and including expulsion from PSC along with other legal ramifications.

Q. Do I get a refund if my student is removed from the residence halls for violating residence hall polices?

A. No. Students who are removed from College-owned housing as a result of conduct sanctions are not refunded any of their room money for the semester.

Q. What happens if my student gets caught drinking or using illegal drugs, including marijuana, in the halls?

A. Students will be documented by Housing and Residence Life personnel and they will face residence life sanctions up to and including expulsion from the residence halls.

Depending on severity of incident, the Student Conduct Board could review the case and the student could possibly be expelled from PSC.

The student may be cited criminally by University Police and would have to appear before the magistrate and likely pay a fine and court costs that amount to approximately $200. Their name will also probably appear in the local newspaper. They will have a criminal record that will negatively impact their College major and career choice.

In lieu of a criminal citation, the University Police do have, at their discretion, the Diversion Program where the student would be issued a University Citation and the student would face College sanctions through the Student Conduct office (not criminal sanctions).  This is typically the avenue the College takes for first time offenders for a minor offense. WVU/Potomac State sanctions also apply at WVU/Morgantown and WVU/Beckley.  

Q. Can a student get in trouble for bad behavior off campus?

A. Yes. The Student Conduct Code applies off campus. If a student does something off campus, more than likely that individual will be cited by the appropriate legal authority AND could face College disciplinary action.

Q. Is WVU/Potomac State College a safe campus?

A. Historically, Potomac State has been a very safe College to attend. Safety starts with you. The College encourages all members of the campus community to be vigilante of their surroundings and to report suspicious activity or people to the University Police. Crime statistics about campus safety are available here.

Students are encouraged to download the free LiveSafe app to their cell phone.  The free LiveSafe app will improve communication between students and University Police, and allows for faster emergency response in distress situations. By having access to the latest safety information, our goal is to help build a safe campus, together.

Q. Are there opportunities to work on campus and in the surrounding area?

A. Potomac State is located in a small, rural town and like most small, rural towns there are usually opportunities at local fast food restaurants, grocery stores, convenience stores and retail stores. If you are interested in working at one of the local establishments, you should inquire with that particular business.

Regarding jobs on campus, at times there are part-time job opportunities available in Dining Services. Please inquire with Dining Services located in the Commons in University Place.

There are also a limited number Federal Work Study jobs on campus and it is suggested that interested students should check with Enrollment Services about availability and eligibility.

Q. What is there to do in Keyser and the surrounding area?

A. If you are an outdoor enthusiast, you should be able to find something to do in the surrounding area. There are several state parks located within a short drive of campus that offers hiking, camping, biking, skiing, snow tubing, white water rafting, fishing and other outdoor activities. The C&O Canal is located in Cumberland that features a bike trail. Many of our students go to Jennings Randolph Lake to fish and to swim. There are also some very good fishing rivers and streams located just a stone's throw from the College.

If you enjoy golf, then bring your clubs because there are several golf courses in the local area.

For those of you who are not really into the outdoor activities, there are things for you as well. Students enjoy going to the local bowling alley. They enjoy going to LaVale, Maryland, to shop at the Country Club Mall. A new movie theater just opened in Keyser and the owners are working with PSC to cater to our students. They also enjoy going to some of the local eateries or going to the Cumberland, LaVale, and Frostburg, Maryland areas to hang out, to dine, and to shop.